Paisley Project Completed
So as you know I reduced the Paisley Cane to the size I wanted to make up a polymer clay ‘fabric’ to cover some cake fork handles for my sister in law’s birthday. I played about with the best way to cover the fork handles. I have made many decorated forks and spoons over the years but hadn’t every really experimented with how to do it best. I will share that with you another time.
First I cut lots of slices from the different canes I wanted to make up the pattern – and yes my lovely husband did make me a cane slicing jig!
The cane slicing jig.
The wooden strip pushes along so you can cut a slice using a blade against the metal edges. I stuck a metal ruler under it so I could make slices the same thickness but actually for the fabric I wanted them about 0.5mm so I just nudged it gently every time. My slices are now of even thickness instead of being wedge shaped! Thank you Richy!
Once I had a fair few slices of canes I started to add them to a very well conditioned sheet of purple clay. Being Kato clay I was worried I wouldn’t be able in embed the slices easily if the clay firmed up. I put a section on and then gently rolled it in several directions so that the surface was fairly smooth.
I cut more slices and embedded them and yet more! Once I had a piece large enough I was ready to cover the handles (I’ll share that in depth another time).